About three months ago I was introduced to a gentleman who has a really big idea. I left our meeting thinking three things:
- He's a good guy
- He has an 800lb gorilla on his hands, and it's so big that just presenting it is cumbersome
- I can help
NOW, listen. This is critical. There are things you need to know before proceeding! Offering "help" can be tricky. Here are the rules:
- Help must be offered in a way that is meaningful to the other person. Not to you.
- Help must not be you driving an agenda about what you think someone should do.
- Help is not working for free, hoping they'll become a client.
- Help is not helping, hoping that you'll somehow get paid for being helpful (in the start-up/entrepreneurial world there is a natural unfolding of this, if it's appropriate. If you walk into a relationship with a touch of "how do I make money here" - even in the back of your mind - you'll kill off the possibility of the prosperity). Go in 100% with the intent of contributing to another for the JOY OF CONTRIBUTING. Trust me on this! (it's the secret sauce to a great life... more on this soon!)
- Your life needs to be handled in order to freely help. This doesn't mean you have more money than God, or that you have eradicated all responsibilities from your orbit. It DOES mean that you need to be accountable for your commitments. Otherwise, there is a breakdown coming for you and that doesn't help anyone.
Now after months of helping, sharing, and supporting his big idea is becoming a big part of my life. And right now, that's workable for me. I am having fun. And the trick is this.... To make it work, I am "fitting it in".
"Fitting it in" is a very cool concept when understood. Fitting it in gets you the time to write your book, an hour a day, until it's done without turning your life upside down or putting you in financial jeopardy. Fitting it in gives you the freedom to explore other projects while staying true to the things that make your life work - like your family and your job. And fitting it in gets you connected to others who like to life in a big, bold way.
So, my good guy and I are just fitting it in... 6am calls on Sat and Sun mornings. Conference calls at 8pm. We're both fitting it into our very full lives. And it's working. Doors are opening. Opportunities are unfolding.
What is in your life that is wanting to emerge? What dream, project or goal that once realized would make a huge difference in your life? Can you start fitting it in?